Thursday, August 11, 2011

A perfect mirror?

 
One interesting thing about having a three year old is seeing so much of ourselves reflected back to us, good and bad.

Like when we overheard Atticus say "That sucks" this week when playing with his matchbox cars.  (Confession: Thank goodness Craig is a good parent, because instead of being properly horrified and giving him a talking to, I ran out of the room laughing.  Craig kept it together and had the "not a nice thing to say" discussion.)

Or when I was asking Atticus questions about a book he was trying to describe to me, and he got frustrated and said, exasperated, through clenched teeth, "I don't know, SWEETIE!"


But it's also a million other phrases and looks and actions that I hope reflect our better side, like when he shares the last of his snack with Franny, or when he pats my face with a hilarious, sincere look and says "I'm so proud of you, Mommy."  Or his sweet concern when anyone is sick or hurt.  And so, without saying it, he also reminds me to be on my best behavior. 

No comments:

Post a Comment